Infusion Therapy Institute
960 Rand Road, Suite 224
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Up on completion of this 1-day IV therapy course, attendees learn to perform peripheral IV infusion therapy. This class is ideal for clinicians grappling with poor IV skills and those who are looking for an IV refresher program.
During the hands-on training, attendees palpate, locate and identify veins on each other, and then practice to insert peripheral catheter on an advanced venipuncture aid. Participants understand derivation for failed attempts and learn to troubleshoot and avoid multiple sticks.
- Purpose and methods of intravenous (IV) therapy
- Stipulations of IV therapy by unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP)
- Different types of IV fluids and its impact on the patient
- Peripheral IV catheter insertion site selection
- Infection prevention guidelines as it applies to peripheral IV therapy
- Equipment selection and setting up IV solutions
- Short peripheral catheter insertion and troubleshooting technique
- Prevention and management of complications
- Documentation guidelines