Intravenous Therapy Course for RNs
About IV Certification for RNs and LPNs
- IV Therapy Course for RNs is a 20- hour hands-on intravenous therapy training course. It includes peripheral IV therapy, use, care and maintenance of central vascular access devices. State boards of Nursing and healthcare facilities anticipate RNs to have knowledge and skills in peripheral and central infusion therapy procedures.
- IV Certification program for LPNs is 2-day peripheral IV training program. Certain states including Illinois limit LPN practice to peripheral IV therapy whereas, other states allow LPNs with education and training to infuse through central vascular access devices such as PICC. LPNs licensed in those states may attend the 20-hour peripheral and central vascular infusion therapy.
Nursing law and scope of practice:
Nurse practice act (NPA) is the law that defines the scope of practice for nurses. Nurse practice acts are implemented and enforced by the State Boards of Nursing. Each state has its own rules and regulations regarding IV therapy training for nurses, often referred as IV certification. Some State Boards of Nursing such limit LPN practice to peripheral IV therapy. Though, multiple other states allow LPNs with documented education and training to infuse through central vascular catheters (CVCs).
- RNs and LPNs are required to comply with the rules and regulations of the licensee’s state board of nursing. To review your state’s nurse practice act, please log in to your state board of nursing website. Click here to view Nurse Practice acts at the National Council of State Boards of Nursing web site. Follow your employer’s policy and procedures if a state board of nursing does not specify if an LPN can infuse through CVCs.
About the Course
This face to face interactive IV therapy training starts with peripheral IV therapy. RNs and LPNs all together learn to insert peripheral IV catheters, administration of fluids and medications, complications and maintenance of short peripheral catheters.
Third day of IV therapy course is for RNs and selected LPNs with expanded scope of practice allowing to infuse through CVCs. Upon completion of this 20-hour infusion therapy training, attendees become knowledgeable of peripheral and central vascular infusion therapy procedures.
Who should attend
- RNs with little or no experience in IV intravenous therapy
- RNs longing to advance knowledge and skills in infusion therapy to be an infusion nurse
- Post graduates nurses before or after the NCLX examination
- LPNs who works in jurisdictions that allows them to infuse through a central vascular catheters
IV Therapy Course- Day 1 - RNs & LPNS
- 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Peripheral IV therapy
- Didactic session for RNs & LPNs
IV Therapy Course -Day 2 - RNs & LPNs
- 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Peripheral IV Therapy
- Peripheral IV therapy, practice session for RNs & LPNs
IV Therapy Course - Day 3 - RNs & Designated LPNs
- 8:30am - 2:30pm
- Central vascular infusion therapy
- Use, Care & Maintenance of Central Vascular Access Devices for RNs and designated LPNs